Pennzoil Platinum vs Mobil 1: Which is Better?
Which motor oil is better between Pennzoil Platinum vs Mobil 1? This is a question that frequently gets asked by car motoring enthusiasts, and a question we’ll be tackling to find the answer of in this detailed comparison.
Motor oil is the lifeline of your engine and under no circumstances should the engine be subjected to low-grade motor oil. A good quality motor oil cleans your engines, lubricates it, keeps it cool, and maintains the fuel economy. So, if you’re planning to change your motor oil anytime soon, I recommend you switch to synthetic motor oils if you haven’t already done so. But, you’ve got to beware as there are several terrible synthetic oils out there on the market.
In this guide, I’ll be discussing two top-selling synthetic motor oils on the market and strike a comparison between both to help you pick the right one. I will also provide you with a third alternative in case you don’t feel that either of the two are what you’re looking for.-
Pennzoil Platinum motor oil is a powerful combination of synthetic base oils and superior performance additives. I have been using this oil for almost a year now, and there seems to be no compromise with the quality. Moreover, given its high quality, it’s pretty decently priced as compared to the other synthetic motor oils on the market.
Apart from its great performance, I really like this particular product by Pennzoil for its cleaning ability. After all, everyone wants their engine oil to provide maximum performance and to achieve this; I bought Pennzoil Full Synthetic Motor Oil to keep the important parts of my vehicle’s engine clean. From what I have observed, I can say that Pennzoil can make your engine 40% cleaner than other standard synthetic motor oils on the market.
Superior active cleansing agents
The fully synthetic motor oil is produced in a way that it can keep any engine clean to help you achieve maximum engine response and protect your engine in severe conditions. With Pennzoil , I drove an extra 500 miles last year.
The oil is ILSAC GF-5 certified and is approved for use by Kia, Hyundai, Ford, and Chrysler MS 12007.
What customers have to say about Pennzoil Platinum 550022690?
I read through all the customer reviews before switching to Pennzoil Platinum and here’s what they’re saying about the product:
- If you want to buy a synthetic motor oil that’s affordable and high quality, it has to be Pennzoil Platinum.
- One of the customers mentioned that they’ve been using the oil with their Honda Pilot with zero problems.
- Another customer has been using the oil with their Honda Accord 2012 model, and they’re simply loving the superior detergent action. They even shared the sample of the oil for testing at the Blackstone laboratories after 5567 miles, and they were surprised to see the results.
Here’s a quick table with the general specifications of Pennzoil Platinum 550022690-6PK Full Synthetic Motor Oil:
|Model no.||Platinum 550022690-6PK|
|Engine type||Diesel/Gasoline, Hybrid, Non-hybrid|
|Approvals and recommendations|
The Brand and notable features:
Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic Motor Oil can be a perfect pick for your vehicle’s engine. It has a viscosity rating of 0 in extremely cold temperatures and a rating of 20 at normal temperatures.
- Removes sludge more easily than synthetic blend and conventional oils.
- Packed with superior active cleansing agents.
- Provides wear and tear protection against uneven terrains and extreme temperatures.
- Good for severe driving conditions.
- Provides great mechanical power.
- Leads to increased gas mileage.
- Full synthetic oil cleans out engine sludge better than conventional and synthetic blend oils
- Superior Active Cleansing Agents
- Better for severe driving conditions than conventional and synthetic blend oils
- Helps keep engines cleaner with better wear protection
- Exceeds the most stringent car manufacturer requirements for cleanliness and protection
- Advanced full synthetic motor oil
- Motor oil weight: SAE 0W-20
- Cleans out engine sludge better than conventional and synthetic blend oils
Mobil 1 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil is another oil that I would recommend you use as it is a safer bet. Every synthetic oil expert is talking about this product and it’s suitable for old cars and trucks also. I am not the only one using this oil in one of my cars, i.e., a Honda Accord; many brands such as Chevrolet, Porsche, Mercedes, Nissan, etc., are using the oil as the factory-filled engine oil.
The oil provides great performance in extreme temperature conditions and prevents dirt and debris from building up on the engine. In simpler words, the oil also acts as a cleansing agent. Moreover, it plays a critical role in reducing friction by creating a dense layer between the moving parts of the engine to make sure they don’t touch.
This leads to an improved lifespan of your engine. My Honda dealership told me that an engine that is aided by Mobil 1 never breaks down by overheating and I can proudly say that the oil is living up to its reputation. The oil absorbs all the heat generated in the engine.
The oil remains thin and light when it gets really cold outside, and you can start your car without experiencing any sort of delay.
What customers have to say about Mobil 1 Synthetic Motor Oil
I read through over 100 customer reviews before switching to Mobil 1 Synthetic Motor Oil and here’s what they’re saying about the product:
- Many customers found it extremely difficult to maintain the oil viscosity within 20000 miles. However, they were easily able to do so with Mobil 1. Some customers also mentioned that they had to use seal conditioners to break their engine’s seal as it has been quite some time since they had changed the oil.
- Even racers are using the oil to enhance the performance of their cars during the racing season.
- The most interesting review was written by a customer who lost his 4×4 in a river but managed to pull it out. On pulling the dipstick, he discovered that the oil had emulsified into a yellowish custard-like material, but the engine was still working and did not show any signs of getting seized. Isn’t it amazing?
Here’s a quick table with the general specifications of Mobil 1 Annual Protection 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil:
|Approvals and recommendations|
The Brand and Notable features:
Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Motor Oil is another top-rated synthetic motor oil on the market. With Mobil 1 Annual Protection Oil, you only need to change your engine oil once every year. It is an ultimate synthetic motor oil that comes with a new lubrication technology which offers improved engine life.
I had second thoughts about using this oil in my Accord as I was already using Pennzoil Platinum in my other car; however, I am really happy with my decision now.
- Improved synthetic technology provides better engine car and long-term protection.
- Comes with a proprietary anti-aging technology that prevents oil breakdown and leads to extended oil change breaks.
- Provides wear protection against extreme temperatures.
- Prevents the build-up of sludge that can harm your engine.
- Flows very fast even in extremely cold conditions.
- Comes in a convenient to use 5-quart package.
Worth considering an alternative:
So, as already mentioned above, Castrol Extended Protection 5W-30 Advanced Synthetic Oil is a worth considering an alternative if you’re not satisfied with either of the two synthetic oils mentioned above.
I am personally biased towards Mobil 1, but one of my friends forced me to try Castrol EDGE Extended Protection for a few months. And, I am really satisfied with the performance of my engine after using the oil. It’s almost as good as Mobil 1 in terms of performance and cleansing action.
I’m an avid traveler, so it does not take me a lot of time to hit 15000 miles. As promised by the brand, I required an oil change after driving 15876 miles. Unlike other oils mentioned here, Castrol EDGE comes with titanium technology that involves structural and molecular changes to the oil to make to make it suitable for heavy-duty activities such as towing, heavy-hauling, etc.
What customers have to say about Castrol EDGE?
I read through over 240 customer reviews before taking a chance with Castrol 03087 EDGE Extended Performance Synthetic Oil and here’s what they’re saying about the product:
- The first and the most critical aspect of the oil that pushed me to try is that it can be used with a wide-range of vehicles such as high-power bikes, cars, mini-trucks, and so on. And, this point has been repeatedly mentioned by a lot of customers.
- Many customers have mentioned that their vehicles feel a lot smoother while driving and the engine noise has also reduced manifold.
- BMW-owners are especially moved by the high-performance of the oil.
- Overall, customers have some really excellent things to say about Castrol 03087 EDGE, and they are pretty sure that no other synthetic motor oil on the market can beat this oil.
Here’s a quick table with the general specifications of Castrol Extended Protection 5W-30 Advanced Synthetic Motor Oil:
|Approvals and recommendations|
The Brand and notable features:
Castrol EDGE Extended Performance Synthetic Oil can be a perfect pick for those who’re looking for a high-performance oil for their trucks, cars, and other heavy-duty vehicles. Castrol is a tried and tested brand that has earned a great reputation in the automotive industry. And, they’ve proved their worth repeatedly in the industry.
- Fluid titanium technology offers great protection against wear and tear.
- Provides durable and consistent performance up to 15000 miles before the next change of oil.
- Reduces friction across a wide range of speeds.
- Decreases build-up of dirt, debris, and sludge on the engine to maximize performance.
- Very affordable synthetic oil.
- For best performance, follow the manufacturer's recommendations in your vehicle owner's manual.
- 20, 000 miles between drain intervals *
- Recommended for severe applications such as towing and hauling, high performance driving, frequent short trips or idling, dusty, humid or extreme temperature environment
- Engineered with fluid titanium technology that offers maximum strength under pressure
- Reduces metal-to-metal contact across a range of different driving speeds
- Decreases engine deposit formation to help maximize engine response
- 3X stronger against viscosity breakdown than Mobil 1 Extended Performance**
- Best advanced full synthetic money can buy
- API SN, ILSAC GF-5, ACEA A1/B1, Meets Ford WSS-M2C929-A, Ford WSS-M2C946-A, Honda HTO-06, Meets engine test requirements of Chrysler MS-6395
FAQ and a Buying Guide
Should I Use High Mileage Oil or Synthetic?
Most dealerships, brands, and motor oil experts recommend using synthetic oil. Conventional high mileage oils are mostly recommended by local mechanics and are derived from crude oil.
On the other hand, synthetic oil is conventional oil modified to protect your engine and boost its performance. Some combinations of synthetic oils are specially manufactured to offer high mileage and enhance the performance of your car. Here’s are some benefits of synthetic oil over conventional high-mileage oil:
- Synthetic oils come with added lubricants that provide the oil with the ability to protect the engine during extreme temperature conditions.
- Synthetic oils are engineered to maintain their thickness or viscosity at higher temperatures.
- Synthetic oils do not breakdown easily, so oil changes are not frequent.
- Synthetic oils come are packed with active cleansing agents that prevent the formation of sludge or build-up of dirt and debris on the engine.
Is Pennzoil Platinum a Full Synthetic Oil?
Yes, Pennzoil Platinum is a full synthetic oil. Using the PurePlus Technology, a patented process that converts gas to liquid, natural gas is converted to form high-quality synthetic Pennzoil Platinum Motor Oil.
Since it is a synthetic oil, it hardly contains any impurities that are found in crude oil.
When Should I Change my Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil?
Mobil 1 Extended Performance Synthetic Motor Oil guarantees protection for up to 20000 miles. Based on personal experience, I can tell you that you’ll require the first oil change at about 15000 miles.
How Long Does Castrol Synthetic Oil Last?
Castrol 03087 EDGE Extended Performance Synthetic Motor Oil lasts for approximately 6 months or 15000 miles.
Is Synthetic Oil Really Better?
Yes, synthetic oil is definitely worth the price. Even though it costs more, it lasts longer, and requires fewer changes.
It also prevents sludge build-up on your engine. Synthetic oil is highly recommended for high-performance vehicle.
My Conclusion: Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1?
Now that you’ve gone through the complete Pennzoil Platinum vs. Mobil 1 comparison, what’s your take? Have you been able to narrow down your choice to either of them? Well, don’t worry if you haven’t; I’ve also provided you with a third alternative.
The oil is packed with Titanium technology that makes the oil more resistant to wear and tear. It is almost 3x stronger against viscosity breakdown than Mobil 1 Extended Performance Synthetic Motor Oil. You can drive up to 15000 miles without worrying about the oil change.
I hope you found this detailed comparison helpful and enjoyed reading it. If you have any more questions, you can write to me or post your queries in the comment section below. I’ll be glad to assist you.